Thursday, July 09, 2009

Presidential Commandments (1989)

Presidential Commandments (1989) Dry Bones cartoon - .
Today's Golden Oldie is from June 07, 1989.

The previous Golden Oldie I posted was also from twenty years ago. It was called "Collision Course". The "story" was about having to face a cold, aloof, and angry American President who was set on a collision course with our tiny ship of state.

I must admit that I don't exactly remember what happened that summer of '89. But it read like a cliff-hanger and I wanted to see what happened next! So I found the next 'toon and put it up today. It's a King Solomon cartoon. I use him to represent the government of the Jewish State in a broader sense than the particular administration at the time.

The punchline that Bush is burning is more than a biblical joke about him being angry. The subtext is that his pronouncements are meant to be received by us as if they were commandments like those that were given on Mount Sinai.

Maybe I'll keep posting these Summer of '89 cartoons to see how it developed. What do you think?

Labels: , , , , , ,