Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cost of Living (1996)

(1998) Dry Bones cartoon: Jordan, Israel, Cost of Living, demonstrations, .
Today's cartoon is from 1August 1996, fifteen years ago this month.

Unlike the Israel of 1996, the Israel of 2011 is protesting the stuff that back then we didn't protest.

* * *
By the way, a number of fans have asked about the possibility of my speaking here in Israel. So in response I'll be appearing at the 11th annual Tel Aviv Animix Festival. It'll be at the Tel Aviv Cinematheque. I'll be presenting my Yale findings on the use of secret codes of antisemitism in political cartoons and explaining the detective work involved. It'll be a shockingly educational experience (with a few Jewish jokes thrown in). I'll be speaking in English. The date is August 18 (this Thursday) at 7:30 PM. There's a 37 nis entry fee. The TA Cinematheque is at 2 Sprinzak St. Tel: (03) 606-0800

For details click here. Come on down and say hello.

Labels: , , ,